Sunday, May 17, 2009

Interesting


Does anyone else notice that when a new couple moves into the ward, the first two questions directed at the wife are usually 1) How many children do you have? and 2) What does your husband do? And when a couple is meeting with Stake/High council/ward leaders why do they seem to be incredible interested in how Andrew is doing with his calling and the stresses of his job but don't even ask how my calling is going or inquire how my schooling/job is? Why are they only concerned with how Andrew's schedule fits with the calling but don't even inquire if I have a schedule conflict? I would just chalk it up to the ignorance of one or two individuals but these practices seem pretty consistent over the years. It's like people don't even stop to think that women might be doing things besides having children or being a housewife.
It reminds me of the best quote I have ever heard in sacrament meeting,"Im just glad that the women of this ward all know that the best place for them is in the home".

5 comments:

Susan said...

Amen! :)

California Garners said...

I've been meaning to ask how the stresses of Andrew's job and calling are affected by your Primary duties. We should consider that more when we make our calendar for next year.

Andrew said...

"I've been meaning to ask how the stresses of Andrew's job and calling are affected by your Primary duties. We should consider that more when we make our calendar for next year."


Considering how often I've been made a part of primary activities, I think that's a valid question...

Katie said...

Oh wow! That must have been a very special Sunday.

Josh Black said...

Heather, I think you'd like my wife. You two could do your girl power thing while Andrew and I muse over the intricacies of certain classes of naturally-occurring number sequences. Let's all get together sometime. Ever wander to Sherman Oaks?