Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

May we all try to consume a little less and be more efficient in our daily routines so as to preserve the beauty around us.

Daily astronomy pic from APOD

Explanation: As midnight approached, a spectacular sky appeared. Such was the case last month from the shore of Lake Salda in southwestern Turkey. In the above night sky panorama, rocky sand covers the foreground, while building lights are visible across the lake. Looking up, the stars of Orion lie just ahead, while Sirius, the brightest star in the sky, appears to Orion's left. To Orion's right, just above the horizon, lies the Pleiades open star cluster. Arching across the sky is the central band of our Milky Way Galaxy. High in the center, the stars Castor and Pollux are visible. Lake Salda is famous partly for its blue color that is slightly discernable even in the above image.

2 comments:

California Garners said...

I've just been notified by ABC7 news that my garden hoses may not be "Green" (although they are various hues from olive to pine colors). They are all likely PVC which uses lead in its synthesis as a stabilizer and can leach out into the water - especially after lying all summer in the sun. Hmmmm.... how much do I want to spend on non-leaching hoses? Just my Earth Day musing.

Laura said...

Hey Heather, I was just thinking of you the other day! my son Jonah has been watching The Lion King over the past few weeks and I was thinking of how we used to make up dances to those songs on your trampoline, fun times! anyway where do you live now? What have you been up to? your garden looks like it will be nice, Michael always plants gardens, but I'm not very good with growing things but I do enjoy using fresh herbs and veggies, good luck with it!